The Center for International Emergency Medical Services (CIEMS) was created in the interest of furthering emergency medical services around the world. We believe that there are five roles for CIEMS in support of global emergency medical services:
- Collect and disseminate information on existing EMS systems and associated infrastructure elements on a global scale through a Global EMS Information System (GEMSIS) project.
- Facilitate the creation of best practices guidelines for International EMS research and development.
- Serve as a forum through which those working in the field of International EMS may share ideas with one another and engage in personnel recruitment.
- Coordinate a research and development project in Rwanda.
- Provide clear and accurate information to international travelers on available emergency medical services in the region to which they will be traveling, and how to best access and use those services.